Tax can make or break a business proposal. Tax effective advice is the foundation of a successful commercial strategy.
We know how to identify tax opportunities and tax risks for our clients and we know when to do it – at the start of each assignment, not as an afterthought.
- Capital Gains Tax (CGT) – advising about the CGT effect of business structures and preparing agreements and including advice on the availability of the CGT small business concessions, drafting and review of trust deeds for CGT effectiveness and streaming ability, private ruling applications and the specialist requirements of deceased estates, attending to in specie distributions from discretionary trusts, unit trusts and hybrid trusts
- Income Tax – advising about the tax impact of business transactions, Division 7A issues for companies and associated trusts (including section 109RB applications), dealing with unpaid present entitlements (UPSs) (including drafting and reviewing UPE investment loan agreements), trust distributions and requirements of trust deeds for effective streaming of trust receipts, structuring for professionals – including the establishment and operation of effective service entities
- Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) – advising on FBT matters generally
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) – advising about the GST effect of transactions and preparing agreements
- Victorian State Taxes – advising on stamp duty, payroll tax and Land tax matters, including the duty issues surrounding in specie distributions of assets from discretionary trusts, unit trusts and hybrid trusts, “land rich” unit trust dealings and the payroll tax issues surrounding employee and sub-contractor arrangements
- Tax Disputes – we represent clients who are in dispute with the Australian Taxation Office and the Victoria State Revenue Office. This includes appearing on behalf of clients before the Federal Court, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) , the Victorian Supreme Court and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). We also advise on dispute stategies and likely outcomes and on matters such as Directors Penalty Notices issued by the Australan Taxation Office (ATO)
- Regulation of tax professionals (Tax Agent Services Act 2009)
- Director penalty notices